Sunday, June 9, 2013

Farewell Talk


Good morning brothers and sisters. I would just like to start off by saying thank you for all coming today and supporting me. It really means a lot. I chose to speak on examples in my life and how I can be an example, but first I’d like to talk about how I got here today.

            In the middle of my senior year, that’s when I decided that I wanted to serve a mission. I remember telling my friends and my parents that my plan was to do my generals for 2 years and then go on a mission. No one really took me seriously. Well, that all changed on October 6th, 2012 when President Monson changed the missionary age. Right when he announced it I got this overwhelming feeling of happiness that I needed to serve a mission. I looked at my mom and told her I was going on a mission. She pretty much died. My parents didn’t know if I was serious but then one month went by and I started my papers and turned them in. I was so excited and so nervous to get my call.

I’ll never forget the day I got my call. It was January 24-the day of the major ice storm. I definitely thought I was going state side. When I was opening my call and was about to read it, I had this overwhelming feeling I was going out of the country. When I saw the words Scotland/Ireland mission on that paper, my first thought was, “oh man my mom is going to hyperventilate.” J And I’ll admit, in the beginning, I was so excited because I thought, “oh this will be so fun. It’s going to be an adventure because I’m going to Scotland, Ireland, and England.” But then one night as I was in my bed, I thought about how a mission really is and that I’m not going for the scenery or the adventure. I am leaving my family for 18 months to help people come unto Christ and be with their families forever just like I get to be with mine. I am laboring and serving, not playing. So now here I am, giving my farewell talk to go and serve the people in Scotland and Ireland.

 

My first example I want to talk about today is probably the most important- Jesus Christ. He was the greatest missionary to ever walk this earth. I know that my mission won’t be easy. I know it will be the hardest and most tiring task I will ever do, but it does not compare to the mission Jesus Christ was on throughout his life. Christ didn’t go on a 2 year mission; he went on a 33 year mission. He was a missionary his whole life. He taught anyone, anytime, anywhere. One of my friends who is serving a mission right now sent me a poem. It reads,

          “Sleep starts to overtake me, I seem to drift away. A vision takes me to another time in another day. I’m standing alone on a hill, the view is very nice. A man walks towards me and say’s “My name is Jesus Christ.” Tears of joy well up inside. I fall down to his feet. “Arise” he states, “follow me to the shade, you and I need to speak.” He says “your mission is similar of what happened to me. I even know how you felt when no one listened to you. At times I felt not quite sure what else I could do. I know you don’t like to ride a bicycle, for you a car would be sweet. Just remember the donkey I rode wasn’t equipped with 21 speeds. I see you don’t like your companion-you’d rather have someone else-I once had a companion named Judas who sold my life for wealth. It’s hard to wear a helmet and have people make fun of you, I remember when they put thorns on my head and called me King of the Jews. So you feel burdened down by the weight of your pack, I recall how heavy the cross was when they slammed it on my back. Your hands hurt from tracting and knocking on doors all day, I guess when they pounded nails in mine I ached a similar way. It’s hard not to hear from home when your family is not there to see. I lost communication on the cross and cried “Father why hast thou forsaken me?” We have a lot in common but there’s a difference between us, you see I endured to the end and finished my mission. So follow and do like me.” He embraced me with his arms and light filled me with his love. With tears in my eyes I watched as he went back to the father above.”

This poem opened my eyes to what Jesus went through. I am so thankful for my brother and what he did for me. I know my mission will be hard but I can and will get through it. It will be worth the sacrifices.

 

My second example that I chose to talk about is my friends. My group of friends is unique. We are closer than ever. I don’t know who or where I would be if it weren’t for my friends. We all have good standards and try to do the right thing. I want to talk about one of my closest girlfriends, Abby Chamberlain. Abby has influenced my life more than I know. I’ve known her since I was in kindergarten and have been best friends since 7th grade. Ever since a year ago, she wasn’t a member but she went to young women’ with me since she was 12 years old. Abby was and is always so sweet and kind to everyone. Every time I am around her, I want to be a better person. She grew up attending church and heard the missionary discussions right after we graduated. She then made the courageous decision to be baptized last summer.  Someone with that much courage and determination is amazing to me. Not only did she make the decision to be baptized, she decided that she wanted to serve a mission when president Monson announced the new missionary age. Me and Abby were roommates this past semester down at UVU and it was the funnest time of my life. I learned so much from her. Every time I’d turn around, Abby would either be reading her scriptures, or working on Preach My Gospel and it always made me want to be better at doing that as well. We chose to go to the temple every week together as we were preparing to serve missions. Even when we had finals and were more stressed than ever, she still encouraged me to go with her. Abby is such a great example to me. I am so thankful Heavenly Father chose me to be one of her friends because she is the best person I know. I love you Abs. You’re going to be a great missionary. England is lucky to have you. I am so excited to be going to the same MTC as you. Thanks for everything.

            The other person I want to talk about is my cousin Cole. He is currently serving a mission in Washington, D.C. and gets home on September 5th. He is such a huge example to me. In high school, Cole overcame challenges and chose to serve a mission because of the influence his friends had on him. He is now an AP in his mission and is doing great! Before his mission, he had an incident happen to him which caused him to have narcolepsy. He still chose to serve a mission even though he hardly sleeps. He is tired all the time but he is so strong. I know he’s not alone on his mission. He has so many angels looking over him and helping him along the way. Cole is such an example to me and I couldn’t be more proud of him.

            Friends are everything to me. They made me who I am today. I am so thankful for them. I especially look up to my 16 guy friends who are serving missions around the world right now. I can’t wait to be a part of the adventure, to join the “mighty band of youth.”

 

            Everyone in this chapel is an example to someone. As a missionary of the church and as one of Christ’s mouth pieces, I need to be the very best example I can be and live Christ-like because people are looking at me 24/7. I am preparing to preach the gospel and so I need to be living it. Investigators will be putting me under the microscope and watch my every move and so I want and need to show people, members and non-members, the joy that the gospel brings to my life. From the day I said I wanted to go on a mission, people would watch me. Every member in the church needs to be an example and live a Christ-like life. I want to share this quote called “I am a Disciple. I am part of the Unashamed.”  It reads,

    

“I am a part of the fellowship of the Unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit Power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I am finished and done with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tame visions, mundane talking, chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, top, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by presence, learn by faith, love by patience, lift by prayer and labor by power. My pace is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, deterred, lured away, turned back, diluted, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, back up, or let up until I’ve preached up, prayed up, paid up, stored up, and stayed up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I must go until He returns, give until I drop, preach until all know, and work until He comes. And when He comes to get His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My colors will be clear for “I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.”

Putting on my missionary badge is a commitment to preaching the gospel and showing my love for Christ and the people of Scotland and Ireland. I am so beyond excited and grateful to serve a mission. I know it will be the hardest thing I will ever do but it will be the best thing I will ever do. Now I guess it’s time for the hard part. I know some people think it’s tacky to talk about their families, but family is everything to me.

            I would just like to thank my 3 brother-in-laws for everything they’ve done for me. I will miss you 3 like crazy. I love you.

            Meg-I’m glad you’re moving away to so I won’t be the only one who’s homesick. Love you Meg. Thanks for all you’ve done for me. I’ll miss you.

            Ash- Thanks for always being interested in what’s going on in my life. I have loved living with you these past 2 months. Thanks for everything. I will miss you. Love you Ash.

            Whit- Thanks for always putting up with me and hanging out with me. I will miss you so much. I love you whit.

            Dad- Thank you for being my buddy ever since I was little. Thank you for all your support throughout my life. I will miss you so much dad. I’ll always be your baby girl. I love you.

            Now for the beautiful lady sitting next to my handsome dad. Mom, thanks for being my best friend. Thanks for being so excited and happy for me. You’ve helped me so much these past 8 months. I will miss you more than anything. I love you mama. J

I can’t wait to go and serve. I know this is what I am supposed to be doing. I am so grateful for this opportunity. I love my Heavenly Father. I know this church is true. I love this gospel……

No comments:

Post a Comment